Friday, March 16, 2007

The Lord of Redemption

We've studied this week about all that was involved in Jesus' trial before the Jewish rulers and in Peter's denial of his Lord...fear, courage, integrity, and more. Today we consider redemption. You see, we follow a Lord of redemption, forgiveness, and second (third, fourth, fifth, exponential) chances.

Jesus did not leave Peter to suffer in his failure nor did Jesus abandon Peter as a disciple. Instead, in the Gospel of John, we read where Jesus gives Peter three opportunities to affirm his love for Jesus...three being the same number of times he had denied Him. Read the passage below.

John 21:15-17
21:15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs.
21:16 Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
21:17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.
Do you carry guilt for past failures? Are you burdened by mistakes and failures that you feel have scarred you for life? Hear the Lord asking you today, "Do you love me?" And as you answer in the affirmative, receive His complete forgiveness and walk in newness of life...for Jesus does not abandon His disciples to wallow in failure and sin.

No comments: